Welcome to Guy’s and St Thomas’ for Kings Health Partners Clinical Oncology specialty training programme.
This post graduate specialty programme provides trainees with the skills, experience and training to prepare you for a career in Clinical Oncology. This popular 5 year training programme comprises of 30 full time training posts rotating between Academic oncology centres, London teaching Hospitals and District general hospitals to give a wealth of experience. There will be experience in the management of patients will all types of cancer using systemic therapies and radiotherapy. You will use simple to complex radiotherapy and state of the art equipment especially in the new Cancer Centre opening at Guys Hospital in autumn 2016. This rotation provides excellent experience to allow you to be successful in the FRCR exam
This training programme includes:
- Busy clinical posts with experience in the management of all tumour types
- Training in the use of systemic therapies and assessment of response to treatment and toxicities
- Use of radical and palliative radiotherapy in the treatment of cancer as well as new and novel radiotherapy e.g.
- Cyberknife and SABR. Work with a fully integrated physics and dosimetry team.
- Opportunities for leadership and management skill development
- Work alongside basic scientists and be exposed to the opportunities for research
Summary of the specialty
Clinical oncology combines academic interest with high exposure to patients, their families and carers as well as other health care professionals. Excellent communication skills are needed and developed during training. Radiotherapy uses data interpretation to plan and assess treatment for patients both radically and palliatively and is an ever changing technique. The ability to deliver systemic therapy allows holistic care for the patient
What makes us unique?
We are a large rotation that provides training in different situations and a wealth of experience from district hospitals where many trainees will work to academic centres where there are opportunities to interact with scientists and work on research projects.
How to apply?
To apply please visit the London Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education website.
- Guys and St Thomas
- Royal Marsden Hospital
- Kent Oncology at Maidstone and Canterbury
- Royal Surrey County Hospital Guildford
If you have any questions or would like further information please contact the Lead Provider team at [email protected]