The course introduces the concepts of structured debriefing, using the diamond debrief model, to facilitate deep reflection, exploration of human factors skills and transfer of learning from simulated experiences to the work place.
Participants will actively debrief simulation experiences and abstract exercises. Using faculty to recreate debrief situations and structured debriefing-of-the-debrief, participants can reflect on technical aspects of the model and how they may facilitate debriefs.
- To provide an understanding of debriefing as an educational modality
- To provide a detailed account of the diamond debrief model
- To demonstrate how to develop transfer of learning and application in practice
- To give practise and feedback opportunities to enable competence in using the diamond debrief model
After completion of the full programme participants will be able to:
- Explain the phases of the debrief diamond model linked to educational theory
- Describe the place of debriefing within simulation-based learning
- Demonstrate components of effective co-debriefing
- Describe the responsibilities of a simulation facilitator
- Demonstrate mastery of the essential skills of debriefing using the diamond debrief model from description through to application
If you have not designed simulation sessions or debriefed before we recommend all three courses in Level 1 training which you can do over a period that suits you/your department. If you have not debriefed in over a year or so or used a different model to the Diamond Debrief model, we recommend that you undertake the Essential Debriefing Skills course. However, we are also flexible and happy for you to observe day one of the course or attend as supporting faculty to help your refresh your skills – to arrange this we would ask that you speak to one of the course leads; Colette Laws-Chapman or Shum Dev via [email protected] to discuss your needs.
The Essential Debriefing Skills course comprises a two-day face to face classroom session and two days of practice/coaching on courses at GSTT.
Study time / CPD = 30 hours in total
Thinking of applying?
Course places are limited and so we require you to make an application that is authorized by your line manager, service lead or educational supervisor for the 4 days of study leave. They will need to write to us to say that you are suitable for this course and that you will be granted the full study leave to allow you to complete this programme of study.