Part one: the course runs over 2 days and introduces the concepts of structured debriefing, using the diamond debrief model, to facilitate deep reflection, exploration of human factors skills and transfer of learning from simulated experiences to the work place.
Participants will actively debrief simulation experiences and abstract exercises. Using faculty to recreate debrief situations and structured debriefing-of-the-debrief, participants can reflect on technical aspects of the model and how they may facilitate debriefs.
Part two is the coaching phase:
After Day 2 of the formal training we encourage participants to further practise the stages of the diamond debrief, debriefing under supervision and gaining debrief of your debriefs or self-directed debrief reflections.
GSTT staff are expected to attend 4 simulation courses to achieve practice opportunities with coaching and feedback to support faculty towards independence.
External delegates are invited back to practice on mutually beneficial dates, but this is optional.
- To provide an understanding of debriefing as an educational modality
- To provide a detailed account of the diamond debrief model
- To demonstrate how to develop transfer of learning and application in practice
- To give practise and feedback opportunities to enable competence in using the diamond debrief model
After completion of the full programme participants will be able to:
- Explain the phases of the debrief diamond model linked to educational theory
- Describe the place of debriefing within simulation-based learning
- Demonstrate components of effective co-debriefing
- Describe the responsibilities of a simulation facilitator
- Demonstrate mastery of the essential skills of debriefing using the diamond debrief model from description through to application
This course is open to those with a direct role in clinical workforce development. Participants attending this training should only be those currently supported to deliver simulation based education as part of their role or who intend to practise debriefing on a voluntary basis.
For dates and to book please visit our Eventbrite page here