Welcome to Guy’s and St Thomas’ for Kings Health Partners Renal Medicine specialty training programme.
The Renal Medicine training programme in South London will prepare trainees for a career in Renal Medicine and also support their development in a number of other areas. Our programme is underpinned by effective clinical and educational supervision and effective communication between clinical and educational supervisors which helps to promote a culture of prompt identification of trainees’ learning needs.
The programme has been mapped to the learning opportunities within each of the placements on our programme to the curriculum and uses the exercise to further refine our rotations.
Modules will be tailored to the trainee’s experience, seniority and interests – for example an ST3 at GSTT following the Transplantation Tissue Typing module may perform a retrospective analysis of the outcomes of ABO incompatible renal transplantation stratifying for immune sensitisation.
All areas of both the Renal Medicine and GIM curricula will be covered with clinical placements and regional training days. There will be opportunities for additional training with the Renal Enhanced Modular Scheme (REMS) run across all four renal units. Modules will include Transplantation (Immunobiology, Infectious diseases and Tissue Typing), Acute Kidney Injury (AKI), Peritoneal Dialysis (PD), Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)/Advanced Kidney Care, Vasculitis, Lupus and Haemodialysis.
To apply please visit the London Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education website.
Trainees on our programme:
- Deliver high quality patient focused clinical care
- Gain speciality and general clinical skills
- Develop skills in a wide range of professional development opportunities
- Gain an insight into the strategic vision of the NHS and how their work impacts its outcomes
- Have access to the MRCP Nephrology Specialty Certificate Examination revision course.
- Experience enhanced training opportunities including:
- Academic and research opportunities for supervision for in-programme research projects or full out of programme experience (OOPE) in MDs/PhDs with special strengths in transplantation, vasculitis, renal fibrosis, hypertension, pharmacogenetics, ethics, & chronic kidney disease.
- Service development opportunities for supervision in pioneering service development projects as driven by NCEPOD AKI (Acute Kidney Injury).
Additional Professional Development
We offer a wide range of Professional Development which you will be able to access through our programme, this development includes:
- Leadership Development
- Quality Improvement
- Teaching and Feedback
All of our Lead Provider trainees have access to a host of Professional Development opportunities. For more information on our Professional Development courses please visit the School of Improvement section in courses and events.
- Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust (GSTT)
- King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (KCH)
St Georges Healthcare NHS Trust (STG)
- Lewisham Healthcare NHS Trust (LHN)
- South London Healthcare NHS Trust (Princess Royal University hospital and Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woolwich)
- Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals Trust
- Ashford and St. Peter’s Hospitals NHS Trust
- Croydon University Hospital (Croydon Health Services NHS Trust)
If you have any questions or would like further information please contact the Lead Provider team at [email protected]