Welcome to Guy’s and St Thomas’ for Kings Health Partners Respiratory and General Internal Medicine (GIM) specialty training programme.
This post graduate specialty programme provides trainees with the skills, experience and training to prepare you for a career in Respiratory and General Internal Medicine (GIM). This popular Specialty training programme last for five years and it is underpinned by effective clinical and educational supervision and effective communication between clinical and educational supervisors. This helps to promote a culture of prompt identification of learning needs which enables us to put measures in place to effectively meet individuals’ learning needs in a timely fashion.
All Trainees in our programmes have extensive access to Simulation and Interactive Learning skills and academic training through a significant BRC grant as part of the AHSC and inter-professional training within education and training as well as communication skills enhancement.
The Leadership framework will be embedded in the cross cutting elements of their educational programme as members of KHP, in combination with enhanced audit and Quality Improvement Project opportunities. Not only will these KHP standards be available to all but will also be shared with our partners in the community where we already have leadership QIPs in place and available to DrPGTs.
The training programme has a track record of delivering all aspects of both Respiratory Medicine and GIM curricula. Enhanced training opportunities available in our programme include:
- Research & Development
Opportunities for supervision for in programme research projects or full out of programme experience (OOPE) in MDs/PhDs with special strengths in pulmonary physiology, lung cancer, asthma and allergy, sleep, acute and chronic respiratory failure, infection including TB, Interstitial Lung disease (ILD) with specific relevance to rheumatological disorders, Immunology and Cough.
MSc courses at KCL in other areas of interest such as Palliative and Clinical Practice
KHP is the recipient of the largest number of NIHR ACF and ACL training posts in Respiratory Medicine and Asthma/Allergy in the UK
- Service development
Opportunities for supervision in pioneering service development projects which include an integrated community respiratory care programme, integrated tertiary thoracic oncology service, pleural services, endobronchial ultrasound, autofluorescent bronchosocpy, Adult Cystic Fibrosis service , ILD, Sleep, Non-invasive ventilation for acute and chronic respiratory failure, intensive care including ECMO, specialist paediatric and adult allergy service.
- Across all sites, the Respiratory Medicine consultant body has a fundamental role in both undergraduate and postgraduate training and also plays an integral part in the London School of Medicine and the Deanery.
This training programme includes the delivering all aspects of both Respiratory Medicine and GIM curricula with the following training opportunities:
Service development; Opportunities for supervision in pioneering service development
projects which include:
- An integrated community respiratory care programme
- Integrated tertiary thoracic oncology service
- Pleural services, endobronchial ultrasound, autofluorescent bronchosocpy, Adult Cystic Fibrosis service , ILD, Sleep, Non-invasive ventilation for acute and chronic respiratory failure
- Intensive care including ECMO
- Specialist paediatric and adult allergy service.
To apply please visit the London Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education website.
All of our Lead Provider trainees have access to a host of Professional Development opportunities. For more information on our Professional Development courses please visit the School of Improvement section in courses and events.
Patient populations come from a wide range of socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. General Internal Medicine (GIM) and respiratory training take place across all sites.
- Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust (GSTT)
- King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (KCH)
- St Georges Healthcare NHS Trust (STG)
- Lewisham Healthcare NHS Trust (LHN)
- Croydon University Hospital (Croydon Health Services NHS Trust)
- South London Healthcare NHS Trust (Princess Royal University hospital and Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woolwich)
- Kingston Hospital NHS Trust
- Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals Trust
If you have any questions or would like further information please contact the Lead Provider team at [email protected]