Safer Tracheostomy Care
Course Duration: One Day
CPD Hours: 7 Hours
Start Time: 09:15 End Time: 16:30
This is an inter-professional, simulation-based one day course covering the key principles of safe tracheostomy care and the management of tracheostomy emergencies through simulated clinical practice.
Short lectures on:
- Introduction to tracheostomies
- Indications for tracheostomy insertion
- Types of tracheostomies
- Routine care of patients with tracheostomy
- Tracheostomy emergencies and management
Skills stations: suctioning, cuff management, stoma site management dressings and tapes
High Fidelity Simulated Scenarios with facilitated debriefs to explore both technical and non-technical skills (blocked tube, accidental decannulation.
Video and discussion of human factors in healthcare.
- Recognition and management of tracheostomy emergencies
- Knowledge of the national Tracheostomy Safety Project
- Exploration of key human factors in healthcare
Who is this Course for?
- Junior Doctors F2-ST4 all specialties
- Community, ICU/Ward & specialist nurses & Care Assistants
- Physiotherapists / Speech and Language therapists
- GSTT Staff – Free
- External NHS Band 4-6 – £175
- External NHS FY1-FY2, SHO, CT1-CT2, ST1-ST2, GP ST1-ST3 – £200
- External NHS ST3-ST8, Staff Grade – £ 225
- External NHS Band 7 – £225
- External NHS Band 8+, GP, Consultant – £275
- Private Hospital (Non-NHS) – £400
For more information please see the or contact the Simulation team on 0207 188 4802 or email the Simulation Team